Some of the armour, weapons, and lanterns you'll encounter in Dauntless (e.g. Hunt Pass rewards, store purchases) are cosmetic items ("skins") and cannot be equipped and worn on their own. Instead, you'll need to apply them to existing gear through the Transmog menu.
How to apply an armour transmog or skin
- Open your Loadout from the Main Menu or by pressing 'L' on PC.
- Select a piece of armour.
- Choose Dye & Transmog from the gear details pane.
- Open the Transmog panel by selecting the glowing green transmog stone.
- Select an appearance ("skin") to preview it, then hit Apply to save it to your armour.
Any transmog you apply will last until you either remove it or replace it with another transmogged look.
Using transmog stones
While purchased cosmetics and skins are free to apply, you will need to spend transmog stones to apply crafted gear appearances to your equipment. For instance, if you wanted to apply a Hellion helm look to a Gnasher helm, it would cost you one transmog stone. This cost applies each time you apply a crafted look that isn't the base (default) look.
Purchased gear (e.g. steel weapons, Arcslayer armour) and non-crafted reward gear (e.g. Hunt Pass rewards, Aetheric Guardian armour, Bound Fury weapon skin) are free to transmog and have unlimited uses. If you want every sword you own to have the Bound Fury look, there's nothing stopping you from making it so.